The Scope of Artists as Writers Index
The scope of our project:
• This index includes a bibliography of published writings by artists, including fiction and non-fiction, from novels, children's literature, poetry, and autobiography to prose pieces about art theory, artist reviews, and other topics.
• This index also includes the artist's own exhibition catalogues, where further artist writings can sometimes be found. Exhibitions without catalogues (no published texts) have not been included, since this index seeks to document published materials.
• This index does not include any literature about artists (biography, historical survey) or illustrated monographs that may happen to include the artist's artworks and information about the artist. Our scope determines that this index seeks to provide a bibliography of writings by the artist themselves, not writings by others about the artists and/or their artwork.
• This index does not include archival (unpublished) materials.
• While this project was inspired by artists' autobiographies, as the project progressed, it was decided to narrow the scope and focus on contemporary (19th century to present) Canadian artists (with an emphasis on those affiliated with the Ontario College of Art & Design (OCAD) University). The non-Canadian artist entries have remained as examples if the project expands to an international scope in the future.
Please note that this index is a work in progress and therefore is not a comprehensive representation of contemporary Canadian artists with OCAD affiliation (yet!)
Many more entries of artists who are/were students, graduates, and faculty of OCAD are to be added in the near future.
Please check back soon and thank you for your interest!
Artists as Writers
Welcome to the